Thursday, August 11, 2011

Weigh-in, etc., etc., etc........


Weigh-In:
I weighed in at 241.2 this morning and silently thanked GOD that the number is still going down.  I am not eating badly but exercise has been minimal.  

First Fill:
So I had my first fill on the 4th and have not had time to write about it.  The Dr. and I went back and forth about whether I actually needed a fill…. I don’t think I needed one but it is so hard to be sure.  I feel like I am both in the yellow and green zone.  I have been consistently losing since surgery.  I do think about food constantly and then convince myself that I am hungry - so I am wondering if it is head hunger?  Anyway, she decided to give me .5cc to “get the process started”.  I really didn’t notice a difference at all.  

Confusion with the Rules:  
I met with the nutritionist before my fill and I am apparently allowed to have a healthy snack (almonds, yogurt, string cheese, etc. ) if I get too hungry.   I thought snacking violated one of the cardinal rules of being banded.  It is so hard sometimes to have so much information coming from everywhere – some people eat a cup some eat a 1/2 some can have carbs, some can’t and so on……  I like to have a list and do things to the letter…. But that won’t happen because we are all different. 

Anyway, what I am finally starting to figure out is that I have to go with what MY body wants (kind of a duh realization but….).  For example, I was having a really hard time with not eating and drinking at the same time (partly b/c I am in AZ and it is hotter than hell here).   So the dilemma was coffee/water or breakfast …. I wake up hungry, thirsty and tired lol.  So the solution for me seems to be – bottle of water on the way to work, coffee at work and only breakfast if I feel I need it.  Maybe that is not the best idea but it did relieve some of my stress of getting the three things in at the same time…. And I seem to be fine.  The coffee holds me until lunch.   I don’t know why I am so overwhelmed by learning how to eat again.  It has been over a month.  I may or may not admit crying in front of the nutritionist about feeling like I was doing everything wrong.

Running:
I want to start – anyone have suggestions  :)

NSVs: 
Wearing a pair of pants today that have been folded in the closet for quiet sometime and they fit comfortably with some room!  

I realized at lunch today that my world is revolving slightly less around food and it is less of an indulgence as it is a necessity.  This is a HUGE thing for me because the other me looked forward more than anything to what I could shove in my mouth next….  Food was my drug of choice!!  It was/is definitely an addiction – there are still days where I feel truly resentful about the fact that I can’t eat as much as I want but those days are getting fewer and farther between.  Thank goodness!

8 comments:

  1. You're not doing anything wrong. I drink my coffee first and then have breakfast if I'm hungry. Lately, I haven't been. I don't know if this is good or bad since that's only been this week and I don't weigh midweek. Like you said, do what's right with you.

    Running: I did the Couch to 5k program and made it to week 3 before doing my own thing. I think it's a good start but it moves a little too slowly for me. I can now run 3 miles (if the the terrain is flat) without stopping so this worked for me. Just don't overdo it at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya! The NUT told me that snacks were ok, too, and I was like, Whaaaat?" I try really hard not to, though. I stick with my three meals and record the amount of time after the meal that I seriously feel hungry or the tummy rumbles. This is how I knew I was in the green zone for the 2 weeks post op, then moved to yellow. I had it down to a science (9am, 1pm, 5-6 pm), and then when I went to yellow, the schedule went out the window and I ate too much. Since yesterday's fill, after about 1/3 cup, I have the full feeling once again. Nice - wonder if it will stay or if the band is just swollen a bit. We're all different, you're right about that. Sometime we'll have to get together (I'm going to the support group tonight at 6:30) - I know I really struggle sometimes, too with food choice and being confused as to whether or not I'm doing the right things. Hang in there! You've got my #, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post, Elizabeth. I see so much of myself in everything you wrote! I'm five weeks post op today and have my first fill next Thursday. I have stopped losing weight, and feel like it's all going to be exercise from now on :(...I have never been a runner, and my knees are not ready...maybe another 20 pounds and I can try it out...for now I'm lifting weights with my legs to rebuild my quads so my kneecaps will stay where they are supposed to! You're doing a great job and it's great to be able to keep up with you!
    dede

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds to me like you're doing fantastically! I, too, am confused about things, and I also LOVE a list - just tell me what to do, and I'll follow it! My particular plan advocates 3 meals and 2-3 snacks, but honestly, I'm still trying to find my feet. I find trying to plan 6 meals a day just heightens my obsession with food, so I like to focus on 3 good meals, and perhaps 1 snack. But this is my second day on solids, so what do I know?! I'm also trying to add some walking into my routine, so hopefully the exercise will help the scale moving down. I'm anticipating a bit of a gain, just because I'm transitioning back to solids...we'll see! But keep up your awesome work - you're doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get not really knowing if you're in the green zone or not. I had a fill appt yesterday but opted for no fill.

    I havne't started running yet, but I've heard couch to 5k is a really good program. I'm worried about my knees and joints while I'm still over 200. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! You really do have to listen to your body and do what works for you! I think pre-planned snacks are okay, but not grazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing wrong with being in the yellow/green zone and getting a fill, so long as you're not too tight afterward! I think I might be there, and I have 5 cc's.

    Also, take your nut's advice with a grain of salt. You have to eat in a way that's sustainable for YOU for the long term. Who can cut out carbs forever? Who never snacks? None of us are perfect, but we can make good decisions even if we do violate the "rules."

    Oh, and great NSV! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Elizabeth, I'm following you back! You're right, everything is overwhelming at first, but I've learned so much from blogs (namely Lap Band Gal http://lapbandgalsjourney.blogspot.com/) and bandedwendy from youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/bandedwendy). Check them out and learn from the best! Watch bandedwendy from the beginning if you can!

    ReplyDelete